According to wikipedia
Coffee cake is a sponge cake flavoured with coffee. They are generally round and consist of two layers separated by coffee flavoured butter icing, which also covers the top of the cake. Walnuts are a common addition to coffee cakes.
Baked a loaf instead of round cake pan. I would say that this easy to bake coffee walnut cake with coffee-infused cream cheese icing is a perfect match for our coffee break.
Recipe source : FOOD TO LOVE
My slightly modified version below :
Coffee Walnut Loaf with Coffee Cream Cheese Icing
70g roasted walnuts, chopped roughly
125g butter, chopped
160g caster sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
200g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Coffee Cream Cheese Icing:
30 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
100 grams cream cheese, room temperature
100 grams powdered or icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon hot water
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C. Position the rack in the middle. *Note : The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust accordingly.
2) Line with parchment paper, extending paper about 2cm over sides and lightly grease with butter a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
3) In a small saucepan, place butter, caster sugar, milk and coffee and stir the mixture over low heat over stove with manual whisk until smooth. Sift flour and cinnamon into medium bowl, stir in butter mixture, egg and half of the chopped walnuts. Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan.
4) Bake loaf for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and quickly sprinkle with the remaining walnuts and continue to bake further about 30 minutes.
5) Test with tester or skewer inserted into the center and it comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
To make the coffee cream cheese icing:
1) Dissolve the instant coffee granules with 1 tablespoon hot water. (Alternatively, just make a cup of Expresso and obtain 1 tablespoon of liquid)
2) Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature. In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add in the coffee mixture.
3) Gradually add in the powdered sugar in 3 additions, beating well. Scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary. Beat until it reach spreading consistency.
To serve, spread over the cake top with icing as you like.
|Spread a thick layer of coffee cream cheese icing !|
Coffee overloaded?! Yeah but we liked it. Enjoy !