Recently tried out this new bread dough recipe and received many good feedback and thumps up. While the garlic butter fillings can the chilled and wrap inside the dough, I preferred to spread the filling on dough buns. Yes, it taste good with any choice of filling like luncheon meat, sausage etc. in any shapes.
Here’s the recipe sharing
- 335g bread flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 40g unsalted butter (softened)
- 180ml water (can use milk, cold or room temperature)
1 egg for egg wash [can add 1 tablespoon of water or milk to dilute it]
To prepare the filling while dough in final proofing:
100g Butter (salted) soften
4 - 5 cloves garlic
40g grated cheddar cheese (to sprinkle)
2 - 3 tablespoons of chopped spring onions or parsley (reserved some for garnishing)
Chop the garlic and some spring onions finely.
In a bowl, mix the softened butter, chopped garlic and spring onions.
1) Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, caster sugar and yeast (note: do not mix yeast & salt directly together).
2) Mix all the dry ingredients for 30 seconds at low speed. Continue with low speed, pour in the water in 4 additions over 2 - 3 minutes till the dough combined.
Once the ingredients have come together, add the butter and increase the mixer speed to medium-high and continue kneading for another 10 - 15 minutes till an elastic dough (window pane).
3) Turn the dough on lightly floured tabletop, knead and shape the dough in big smooth round. Place in a big bowl and cover with cling wrap or cloth and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 to 1.5 hours).
4) Turn the dough on tabletop and give some punches on the whole dough to remove the gas pockets. Punching down helps to even out the dough’s temperature and relaxes the gluten.
5) Divide the dough into 12 equal portions (or 50g each). Make into rounds. Cover and rest it for about 15 mins.
6) Lay the baking tray with parchment paper.
7) Roll out 1 dough in oval shape not too thin, gently stretch the 2 sides of one end outward, gently roll up towards the stretched ends, pinched to seal and place sealed sides down on baking tray. Score or slit the top.
8) 2nd proofing for about 45 minutes (double in size)
9) Towards the last 15 mins of 2nd proofing stage, preheat oven to 170°C and position the rack in the center of the oven. (Note: The temperature of the oven varies, do adjust accordingly).
10) Brush with egg wash thinly on dough, spread about 1 teaspoon of garlic butter filling and sprinkle with some cheddar cheese and spring onions.
11) Bake for 15 minutes or until the bread has turned golden brown.
12) Remove tray from the oven and transfer the buns onto wire rack to cool before storage.
I love the warm fragrance buns ... Enjoy!
Here’s some other shapes using the same dough recipe baked with my friends.