Saturday 6 August 2016

Lemon Yogurt Mini Bunny Cubes




Have you ever thought of baking mini cakes or muffins using Origami instead of the usual ready store bought muffin or cupcake liners? I’m sure you will love these mini DIY cakes using Origami technique. 

When my kids were young (probably age 4 to 6), we loved spending our leisure time in folding Origami together. Click here to find out about Origami.  With the tutorial instructions given on the book, it was not too difficult to use colourful Origami papers to fold simple shapes like heart, boat, flowers to slightly complicated steps for cute animals/insects like cow, dog, cat and butterfly, dragonfly etc.  Sometimes we would fold simple shapes and pasted them on DIY birthday cards for their kindergarten friends. 

Ever since they have grown up, we hardly … or rather, never make Origami together.

Inspired by Parchment Bunny Cubes the bunnies were folded in Origami, I lay my hands on Origami again … to have some fun in baking mini cakes with DIY parchment paper folded like bunny. I tried out just 4 …. Cut the size of parchment paper 20cm x 20cm.  Refer here for folding balloon rabbit 

Since we like loved the fragrant Rosemary Lemon Yogurt Cake, and easy to bake ... I modified slightly to make as mini cakes.

Lemon Yogurt Mini Bunny Cubes 
Make 7 mini cakes (3 cupcakes & 4 Origami bunny cubes)
Ingredients A
65g caster sugar
125g yogurt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon zest of lemon

Ingredients B
100g self-raising flour (sifted)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt

Method:
1) Position the rack in the center and preheat oven to 190°C.

2) Put all the ingredients A in a medium size mixing bowl and whisk together until incorporated.

3) Add in the sifted flour and the rest of ingredients B to the mixing bowl. Whisk until no lumps remain. Pour the batter into piping bag, pipe through the small hole (nose) to about slightly more than half for the bunny.  Fill the cupcake liner to about ¾ full.  Place all onto a baking tray.

4) Bake for about 25 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake if it comes out clean.



5) Transfer the bunny cubes and muffin cups to wire rack for cooling.  Serve warm if you like.

Note :
1) I made a slight mess on the spilled batter around the "nose". So I thought to 'camouflage' the unslightly stain by covering it with mini chocolate chip. It didn't help as it  become dark and clearly visible. I should have wiped clean the pipping nozzle.

2) The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust accordingly.




I'm sure this Origami Bunny cubes will be a fun & crafty DIY baking-together with young children ^-^!

Enjoy and have fun in Origami baking !


8 comments:

  1. I love folding origamy. Its an interesting past time. I love a muffin with piping hot coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Nancy, I love it too but tend to forget the steps unless more practice ... hee .. hee

      Delete
  2. Karen, that's really cute! Hope it doesn't get confused with Pokemon Go. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ! perhaps if use yellow colour parchment paper may look more like Pokémon LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I am hopeless when it comes to origami! I can never get the foldings right! Your little cakes looks so pretty in the cute bunny cases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really into origami, but I don't think I could make something like this! This is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.