I made these soft and melt in the mouth kinda almond cookies for CNY two years ago. My family liked it very much. When I chance upon another almond cookies shared by some group members in FB that the texture is crispy and crunchy type, I have to give it try. Like the buttery crunchy texture with a hint of almond fragrance.
Below my slightly adjusted version
186g unsalted butter, softened
100g caster sugar
265g all purpose plain flour
70g almond meal
1 egg yolk
Some almond flakes or nibs for decoration.
Egg wash : 1/2 egg yolk + 1 teaspoon water as I preferred lighter colour.
1. Position the rack in the middle and preheat oven to 170°C. (The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. (Need not grease).
2. In a big mixing bowl, cream butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy with electric mixer. Add egg yolk and mix well.
3. Next, mix in almond meal till combined.
4. Fold in plain flour with spatula till combined.
5. Turn over on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough evenly (about 0.5cm thickness) and cut to desired shape using cookie cutter.
6. Brush with egg wash then spinkle some chopped almond nibs or flakes on top. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
7. Cool on tray for 2 - 3 minutes before transferring them to cool completely on wire rack.
Well, glad another yummy homemade almond cookies for CNY.