When I saw these quick bread baked by Phong Hong and Veronica of Peng's Kitchen ... I know I have to bake this. Why? My big kids' favourite ingredients … not one but three in there: chocolate chips, peanut butter & banana. Mash the bananas and simply mix all the ingredients with a whisk and it's done within 10 minutes. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and I sent three mini loaves into the oven.
Phong Hong Bakes & Cooks
Chocolate Chips & Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Makes one 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or
3 small loaves (I used a heatproof paper pound cake mould 7.5cm x 17.8cm x 5cm)
240grams self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
60grams butter, softened
80grams caster sugar
180grams creamy peanut butter
4 - 5 medium size bananas, mashed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
240ml fresh milk
100g mini chocolate chips (I reserved about 1.5 tablespoons to sprinkle on the batter)
8) Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from pan to cool completely.
1) Position the rack in the center and preheat oven to 160°C. Line the base of loaf pan with parchment paper.
2) Sift flour and salt together in a bowl.
3) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until combined with a manual whisk.
4) Beat in egg. Mix in peanut butter and vanilla and whisk till creamy. Mix in the mashed bananas.
5) Add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Whisk until just combined and the batter is smooth.
6) Fold in chocolate chips with spatula. Pour batter into loaf pan, scrape down the sides of the bowl for no waste of batter. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle with the reserved chocolate chips (or more if you like).
7) Bake in preheated oven for 40 mins. Check for doneness with a skewer inserted into the center of the cake if it comes out clean.
I like it warm … A hint of banana fragrance and the peanut butter gives it a rich, full flavour with a soft and moist crumb to satisfy our afternoon break and morning brekkie. Delicious! Enjoy !