Friday 17 April 2015

Almond Milk Braised Chicken, Corn and Asparagus

I remembered reading this recipe at Zoe's blog sometime ago and was wondering then "braised chicken with almond milk really taste that good?! ... "



While I consume almond milk occasionally and like to mix it with cereals or just boil as hot almond milk tea with mint leaves, I've never tried cooking with almond milk. Well, watching the video and reading this caption twice ... so, what am I waiting for ... go go go cook this for our weeknight dinner !
Feed your family Curtis' almond milk braised chicken with corn and asparagus for dinner tonight.

Recipe adapted from Curtis Stone at coles website.
Below slight changes made as I don't have enough almond milk, and omitted basil leaves.

Almond Milk Braised Chicken, Corn and Asparagus (Curtis Stone)
Ingredients :
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
7 pieces chicken (mixture of drumsticks, breast meat)
1 Onion, thinly sliced
150g frozen Corn Kernels
1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
2 teaspoon Garlic, finely chopped
500g Almond Milk
1 1/2 cups Thai Fragrant White Rice
250g Asparagus, cut into 1cm pieces on an angle
100g Coconut Milk

Some prepared ingredients 
Method :
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt on both sides and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.


Transfer the chicken to a plate and return the pan to medium-high heat. Drain any excess fat from the pan, leaving one tablespoon on oil in the pan.

Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, then add the corn, ginger and garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.


Add the almond milk and return the chicken to the pan. Bring the liquid to a simmer, then reduce the heat and gently simmer, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (As I used smaller size chicken pieces, I simmer the meat for about 25 minutes)

While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to packet instructions and keep warm until serving. (I simply used the rice cooker to cook the rice)


Add the asparagus and basil leaves (omitted) to the chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.

Add the coconut milk and stir to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve the chicken in bowls with the broth and vegetables, along with the rice.

While the pot simmer with covered lid on stove, my big boy came in and he commented that the strong aroma was very nice. I really don't know how to describe it ... the fragrance of sweet corn, ginger and milky almond.  It was towards the end of the cooking I smell the fragrance of coconut too!

My girl returned from school, she asked 'what's for dinner, mom?'
Mom replied 'a Curtis Stone's recipe', and I saw a big smile on her face. Jamie Oliver and Curtis Stone are her favourite celebrity chefs ^-^!

Yummy-licious!

This big plate of rice is for my boy !

Served hot with rice ... they just 'Mmm ... very nice! ... good!' Okay we were hungry... hee hee! Almond milk braised chicken, corn and asparagus ... delicious & tasty dinner!
Boy: mom, cook this again :D
Enjoy!

Happy cooking and have a great weekend!

See ... the meat is so tender soft !

Submitting this post to the event : Little Thumbs Up - April 2015 Theme Chicken organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe 

 

And


Also submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone # 8 :
April 2015 Event Theme: Fun with Almonds 【玩转杏仁】 
organized by Fion of XuanHom’s Momand co-hosted by Doreen of My Favourite Little DIY


9 comments:

  1. Karen, it;s looks good lah! So surely must taste good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, thanks. It really tasted good ::D

      Delete
  2. Never seen almond milk before,hmm..
    I wonder what would it taste cook with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fion, you should try this dish if you can find almond milk.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I am drooling now! I want to cook this too.
    Can I come over for dinner?
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lovely dish! I wanna try too! Slurpps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,

    I remember this almond milk chicken!!! It is very comforting to eat :D

    I'm happy that you and your family like it :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so clever Karen! Almond chicken. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.