Thursday 23 April 2015

Almond Crescent Cookies

I still have a pack of unopened blanched almond powder which I've bought extra for making Almond Cookies  during CNY 2015.

Rather indecisive if I should bake an almond cake or the almond crescent cookies which I've bookmarked last year. Finally ... decided to bake some crumbly almond crescent cookies.


Recipe adapted from : Simply Recipes
with my notes my blue below.
Almond Crescent Cookies
Ingredients :
232g butter, room temperature
130g caster sugar (I used 80g)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of almond extract
200g of all-purpose flour
90g almond flour (can substitute ground almonds*)
30g powdered sugar (or snow powder) for dusting/sprinkling

*You can use slivered, blanched almonds and grind them up, but you will have a very crumbly, hard to work with dough. It’ll still taste good though.

Method
1) Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the extracts and mix.

2) Add the flour and almond flour. Mix thoroughly.


3) Take generous tablespoons of the dough (it will be slightly crumbly) and roll it into a small ball, about an inch in diameter, and then shape into a crescent shape. Place onto parchment paper and bake at 350°F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes or until a light golden brown.
Note: I let them cool about 3 minutes in baking sheet before transferring them on to cooling rack to cool.

The cookie dough is very soft and slightly sticky, rather difficult to handle and shaping them ....  So I scooped more than a big heap of tablespoon full to roll it into 'small' ball.

Freshly baked. ... out from the oven. ... wah ha ha !! Gosh ! Like my waistline "expanded beyond control" ! See ! They "kissed" each other and got no room for expansion :(



4) Dust with powdered sugar.

For added decadence let the cookies cool and dip one end of them into some melted chocolate, then let the chocolate harden.

I've got 29 pcs.

Ha ha ...instead of pretty moon crescent ... I've made a batch of fatty kidney beans lookalike almond cookies!

Fatty shaped crescent

Boy  : Haiz ! The crumbs dropped all over on my shirt !
Mom: You must be gentle when picking/holding the cookie with your fingers .... don't "squash" or add pressure to it.
Boy: Let me use a spoon ! hmm ... nice, not bad ...
Mom: Ha..  ha ... first time I see you scoop up cookie with a spoon ... ha ha !

But still, I like these crumbly sandy almond cookies :D
Two pieces with a cup of cold soya milk drink for my afternoon snack ... so satisfying ^-^!

Store the cookies in airtight container and it still taste good the next day.


See ... I hold it gently !

Enjoy!


Sharing this post to Best Recipes for Everyone # 8 :
April 2015 Event Theme: Fun with Almonds 【玩转杏仁】 
organized by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom and co-hosted by Doreen of My Favourite Little DIY




10 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I smile when I read your boy use a spoon to eat this lovely cookies!
    I once made a type of cookies my boys use spoon to scoop and eat too... Haha
    This cookies is in my to do list too. I kinda love the sandy, crumbly texture with the butter aroma. Yum!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mui,
      I'm with you, love the sandy crumbly texture and a hint of butter fragrance. Great snack with cold or hot drinks too!

      Delete
  2. this cookies look so lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fion. Wish you could join me for tea ^-^!

      Delete
  3. Hello Karen, I think crumbly sandy almond cookies will go well with a hot cup of kopi O. I love black coffee.
    http://chingchailah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,
      Thanks for dropping by. Oh yes agree cos I had these sandy almond cookies with a cup of black coffee for brekkie the next morning ^-^!

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen, These cresent cookies sound so yummy! I really don't mind the crumbs all over my blouse, pass me some :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    These cookies look so delicious, I want I want .... ^o^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee .. hee.. pls help yourself for some, Irene.

      Delete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.