Last week I've actually planned to make Kuih Dadar as I'll be cooking the grated coconut with gula melaka (palm sugar) for the Hainanese Coconut Kueh. But when my boy saw the grated white coconut, he asked if I was making ondeh-ondeh. ...
Hmmm ... should I ? But I've got the purple sweet potato instead. So using the recipe pumpkin ondeh-ondeh adapted previously, made slight changes and whipped up these dainty balls for our dessert.
Purple sweet potato ondeh-ondeh
Half white coconut - shredded/freshly grated coconut
Pinch of salt
80g glutinous rice flour
180g sweet potato puree (peel off skin and cut into smaller pieces, steamed about 15 - 20 mins and mashed with the back of spoon)
50ml plain water
Some finely chopped Gula Melaka/Palm Sugar
1) Mix salt evenly with the grated white coconut, spread in a heatproof plate, steam for 5 minutes, leave to cool.
2) Mix glutinous rice flour in purple sweet potato puree, mix evenly. Add in plain water gradually little at a time, knead to form a dough.
3) Divide the dough into small round ball, wrap with some chopped palm sugar.
4) Put (3) into boiled water and cooked until the ondeh-ondeh floated (once it float, continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes for the palm sugar to dissolve). Transfer the ondeh-ondeh into a bowl of cold water.
5) Drain off the water, coat the ondeh-ondeh with grated white coconut and serve.
Hee .. hee ... Well, I managed to hop onto the last choo-choo train, joining the fun event for my favourite traditional kueh !