Sunday 12 June 2016

Roasted Portobello Caps

My big kids love to indulge stuffed grilled/roasted cheesy mushrooms whenever we dine out at some western restaurants that served as appetiser. But I always find that those stuffed grilled/roasted mushrooms are often stuffed with "high-fat" ingredients (eg. bacon, loaded with cheese and butter etc.).

Love this full of flavor "gigantic" stuffed mushroom yet without all the high-fat ingredients.  Most of all, a fuss free and easy to prepare dinner on busy weeknight.

Roasted Portobello Caps
(adapted from the cookbook EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals by Jessie Price & the EatingWell Test Kitchen)
Below my slight modification made in blue.
Ingredients:
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1/4 teaspoon salt (to sprinkle a little on mushrooms and remaining for stuffing mixture)
Ground pepper to taste

To make the stuffing mixture
15g breadcrumbs (I toasted 2 slices of wholemeal bread and crushed coarsely)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Cooking spray for the pan (I used olive oil)

Method :
1) Preheat oven to 220 °C.  Lightly grease a baking sheet or roasting pan with a little olive oil.

2) Remove the stems of the mushrooms, place gill-side up on to the prepared pan.  Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper on each mushroom. To roast for about 20 minutes or until soft.

3) While the portobello mushrooms are roasting in the oven, prepare the stuffing mixture. In a bowl, combine and mix well the remaining salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.

4) Remove the tray of roasted mushrooms from the oven. Spoon 2 tablespoonful of mixture onto each mushroom cap.  Return the mushrooms to the oven and continue to roast for about 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are nicely browned.



I was too lazy to grind the toasted bread to make breadcrumbs ... toasted 2 slices of wholemeal bread and crushed them coarsely ... hee... hee ... my big kids thought mushroom stuffed with grilled chicken meat.  As usual, they complained "not enough cheese ...". Okay will top with more grated cheese for them when I make roasted portobello caps again.  But this is definitely my kinda light and delightful dinner, paired with a bowl of green leafy salad and slices of fruits. Enjoy !

I would like to share this delightful recipe and linking this post with :




13 comments:

  1. I seriously wouldn't miss the meat here at all...these stuffed mushrooms look very inviting, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE mushrooms, Karen! Some say we live in the Mushroom capital of the world, lol...I do know there's a huge Mushroom Festival that I've been trying to return to for a couple of years now. Perhaps this year:)

    In the mean time, you just reminded me to pick up some Portobello and Stuff them!!! Yours look delicious!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Karen...

    P.S. Karen, we would love to have you join us for the Picnic Game if time allows. It's sooooo much FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,
      We love all kinds of mushrooms too ... fresh or dried kind and now we got 'hooked' on these yummy stuffed portobello mushrooms.
      Oh Picnic Game ... let me find out more from your post !

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen, These healthy stuff mushrooms look so delicious and healthy! Definitely want to try it out soon for my family. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      You're welcome and hope you'll like it too.

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen, These healthy stuff mushrooms look so delicious and healthy! Definitely want to try it out soon for my family. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, my family loves all kind of mushrooms. They will be very happy if I make this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    These mushrooms have the meaty taste so I would not mind if there is no meat at all! We love mushrooms, especially stuffed mushrooms. And my kids would complain about not enough cheese as well!
    Thanks for joining Cookbook Countdown! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love portobello mushrooms! and thanks for the tip on 'instant' breadcrumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy stuff, Karen. Kids will be kids! ;)
    I love that it's light and healthy. It makes good snack food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen,

    We like to cook ours with tuna seasoned with lemon juice plus loads of melted cheese topping... Speaking of these, I want to bake these for my family soon :p

    Ya... don't waste money at restaurants because I think you can cook better than them :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I love portobello mushrooms and usually put them into my omelette. I have not tried roasting them as yet.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.