I couldn't recall where I have obtained the recipe from. During those days, I just glance few recipes here and there for some "know-how" and adjusted the quantity and sweetness etc. But I would usually make a small portion as glutinous rice is very filling coupled with the milky coconut milk.
|Left 2 mangoes in the fruits bowl|
I like to add few pieces of pandan leaves to the rice and coconut milk mixture ... more fragrant.
Mango Sticky Rice (4 servings)
170g of glutinous rice (I used the cup for measuring cooking rice 1 full cup).
1 small packet 200ml coconut milk
3 to 4 small pcs crystal rock sugar with 4 to 5 tablespoons of water
Few pieces of pandan leaves
Pinch of salt
1 ripe mango
1) Wash and soak glutinous rice for few hours or overnight.
2) Drained, spread rice with 2 pieces of pandan leaves over a heatproof plate, place over a saucepan of simmering water. Cover the saucepan and steam for 25 - 30 minutes or until rice is tender and translucent.
3) Prepare the coconut milk mixture. Dissolve the rock sugar with water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place 1 - 2 pieces pandan leaves (about 3" - 4" lengthwise), pour in 100ml coconut milk. Stir the coconut milk till heated through (do not boil).
4) Once the glutinous rice is cooked, transfer the rice to a large bowl. *Add the coconut milk mixture and stir to combine, ensure the rice is coated with coconut milk. Set aside for 10 minutes to stand.
* may add all the coconut milk or lesser according to your preference.
5) In a clean saucepan, pour the remaining coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Stir till heated through (do not boil).
6) Divide the rice among serving plates. Top with some mango slices. Spoon over the thick coconut milk.
A spoonful of juicy sweet mango and sticky coconut rice ...yum yum! Enjoy!