- to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables
- more nutrition food like wholemeal, oats, raw nuts etc.
- consume less salt, sugar & saturated fats (in moderation) etc. etc.
Lately, I've also started to slowly introduce nutrition ingredients in my bakes like using rolled oats to make a batch of Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins
When I saw this Savoury Corn Bread recipe, I was hesitated to try it as grated cheddar cheese is added (cos I don't really like cheesy stuff) ... but I like sweet corn, rich in fiber and benefits of cornmeal :
- Very low in saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- Very low in sodium
- Very low in sugar
This bread is one of those quick breads (no yeast added & no kneading and proving the dough) and pretty quick & easy ... just mix all the ingredients well ... so I decided to bake this on one weeknight for our brekkie ^-^
Savoury Corn BreadMakes 9 (recipe adapted from cookbook Cakes and Bakes 500 by Martha Day)
2 eggs lightly beaten
115g plain (all purpose) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
115g grated cheddar cheese (1 reduced to 90g)
225g corn, fresh or frozen and thawed.
(I used fresh corn)
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degC. Grease a 23cm/9 inch square baking tin.
(I used 8 inch square baking pan)
2) Combine the eggs and buttermilk in a small bowl and whisk until well mixed. Set aside.
|Some prepared ingredients|
4) Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to combine thoroughly. Stir in the cheese and corn and combine.
|Pour in the sweet corn & cheese and mix mix mix!|
(Mine took about 28 mins to bake)
6) Unmould the bread on to a wire rack and leave to cool. Cut into squares before serving.
Buttermilk is made from skimmed milk which is left over after the fat from full cream (whole) milk has been skimmed off to be used for making butter. This skimmed milk is then soured by the bacteria to produce buttermilk. Although the results are not quite the same, yogurt is sometimes mixed with sweet (fresh) milk and works in a similar way to buttermilk.
The texture is not that cheesy afterall. My teens like this savoury bread too ^-^!
I'm linking this post to