Sunday 27 July 2014

Chive and Potato Scones

Not sure if you've tried savoury potato scones?

Since my teens love potatoes ... french fries, cheesy fries,  baked potato skins, mashed potatoes, Shepherd's Pie etc. etc.  I thought that they might like these savoury potato scones too. So I bookmarked this from the cookbook and made for our weekend tea treat.

I almost fell off my chair when my girl asked "pan-fried scallops for tea-break ? ... wow expensive snacks!"
"No, these are potato scones!!! ... LOL!

I was quite amused when my boy said it tasted like "thick doughy" roti prata ... maybe taste good if dip with some curry sauce ... ha ! ha >○<.

CHIVE & POTATO SCONES
Chive and Potato Scones
Makes 20
(adapted from cookbook Cakes and Bakes 500 by Martha Day)
Ingredients:
450g potatoes
115g plain all purpose flour, sifted
2 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoon chopped chives
Salt and group black pepper
Low-fat spread for topping

Method:
1) Wash the potatoes and peel the skin. Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 20mins, then drain thoroughly. Return the potatoes to the clean pan and mash them.

2) Preheat a griddle or heavy frying pan over low heat. Tip the hot mashed potatoes into a bowl. Add the flour, olive oil and chopped chives, with little salt and ground black pepper. Mix into a dough.

3) Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface to a thickness of 5mm. Stamp out rounds with a 5cm scone (cookie) cutter, re-rolling and cut the trimmings, or cut into squares with a sharp floured knife.


4) Cook the scones, in batches, on the hot griddle or frying pan for about 10 mins, or until they are golden brown. Keep the heat low and turn the scones once.
(I turned it 3-4 times as afraid that it might burnt)
Nicely browned in the frying pan
5) Remove from the griddle or pan, top with a little low-fat spread and served immediately.

My batch yielded about 17 pieces.

From their expressions and since these scones were 'not gone in few minutes' ... I've guessed as much ... these ain't their 'cup of tea' for their tea break snacks :( They've hinted ... missed those oven baked scones where they could spread with some fruity jam or Nutella.

I was quite hesitant to share this recipe as my big kids didn’t quite like it. But I find this is a less fat, healthier scone recipe. I like these savoury scones ... dough texture abit chewy starchy... fragrant and taste wise ...a little like the lighter version of Chinese 葱油饼.

Hope you enjoy your long weekends !

Photobucket

This post is link to Little Thumbs Up event and the theme for July  2014 is Potato 
This event is organised by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Yes we have chatted but in disqus your blog name is not there so I am abit blur lol! These scones looks yummy, I have not made scones with potatoes before, got to try too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 看起来很美味哦,我是一定会喜欢的。嘻嘻~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pan fried scallops? hah..hah..hah...Karen, your girl is cute! Not only have I not eaten potato scones, I have never eaten scones before. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ! They do look like pan-fried scallops .... baked scones appearance looked solid hard ... like hard rock. But the texture inside is soft and tasted good with some spread.

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen,
    Lovely "scallops" snacks! Haha! Yes, they do look like scallops, your daughter is really cute!
    Scallops or not, I would love to have these for my tea time snack!
    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, if I bake these little scones, I won't have any left by the time they are baked. They are so small I will keep popping them like popcorn. :P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,

    Your scones are so interesting because they are not baked but pan-fried... Funny that your kids says that they are thick doughy roti prata :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something new to me! Good try, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting to know that these scones were done in a stove instead of baking them. Talking about 葱油饼, i may try making those one of these days...never eaten before too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen,
    I want some pan fried scallops.. lol
    Good that these scones are pan fried on the stove instead. I bet these are just yummilicious !
    mui

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.