Saturday 25 October 2014

Crunchy-topped Sponge Loaf

It has been a while I've not baked anything using the recipe from the cookbook. Flipping over the pages again and again ... indecisive ... At last decided to bake a simple butter sponge loaf for our weekend tea break and keeping some for breakfast.


Crunchy-topped Sponge Loaf
Makes one 450g loaf (recipe adapted from Cakes And Bakes 500 by Martha Day with slight modification in blue)

Ingredients:
200 unsalted butter,  softened
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
150g caster sugar (I reduced to 100g)
3 eggs
75g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
150g self-raising flour, sifted

For the topping:
3 tablespoons clear honey
115g mixed (candied) peel (I used about 85g dried apricots,  sliced them into thin slices)
50g flaked (sliced) amonds

Method :
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and lineal a 450g loaf tin (pan) with baking parchment. 

2) Beat together the butter, lemon rind and sugar until light and fluffy.  Blend in the eggs, one at a time.

3) Sift together the flours, then stir into the egg mixture.  Fill the loaf tin with the batter. Bake for 45 mins,  or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins. 


4) Turn the loaf out on a wire rack, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool completely. 

5) To make the topping,  melt the honey with the mixed peel and almonds. Remove from the heat, stir briefly,  then spread over the top of the loaf. Cool before serving. 

The refreshingly tangy crunchy topping complement to the buttery sponge cake tasted really good! As my waistline is expanding "rapidly" ... I could only have just 1 "big" slice .... enjoyed very much with a cup of coffee !

Happy baking !

Enjoy your weekend ^-^!



Cook-Your-Books

This post is linked to Cook-Your-Books #17 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


15 comments:

  1. Sponge cake! Is it easier to bake a sponge cake as compared to chiffon cake? I haven't tried baking a sponge cake before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... as chiffon cakes require egg separation method. Do try.

      Delete
  2. Its dinner time now but I dont mind to have a slice after my dinner.....that would be so fulfilling feeling for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, pls help yourself as after meal dessert ^-^!

      Delete
  3. Karen,
    这蛋糕看起来很松软哦,请我吃。。。嘻嘻~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, 真的很松软 ! Pls help yourself for some 不用客气 。。。^-^!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Amy, this buttery sponge tasted good 挺好吃的。^-^! My kid like it too.

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! I really need to buy some self rising flour sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathleen, do try this sponge loaf and I like the crunchy honey topping makes this cake tasted good, the sweetness is just right for me. Thanks for dropping by ^-^!

      Delete
  6. This is just perfect for breakfast! 2 slices please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, what a nice sponge cake with crunchy topping! Very addictive and I cannot stop at one slice even though I know it will go straight to my "pork belly" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, thanks. Ha ha ...the sponge cake taste better the next day ... I had another 'big' slice ...I must 'tahan' .... Christmas is around the corner ... again will indulge with goodies !

      Delete
  8. Hi Karen,
    Your cake looks lovely and delicious! My waistline is not getting any smaller too! That's why I usually bake only half a recipe! Hehe!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.