Wednesday 1 October 2014

Pumpkin and Baby Spring Mix Salad




While my girl enjoyed so much and happily 'polished clean' a dish of fragrance crunchy toppings Lemon and Almond baked Salmon, I have this big tub of nutty pumpkin salad to enjoy ^-^!

I like pumpkin ... very often, I would just throw some into the rice cooker to cook with the rice and make 'pumpkin rice'.
Or make fried rice with pumpkin and raisins.
Or make some pumpkin soups/desserts be it savoury or sweet.

Pumpkin salad ? Nope!
Roasted or baked pumpkin ? Nope, and this is my first attempt in making pumpkin salad with a medley of baby lettuces.
Recipe adapted mostly  from Taste.com by Sarah Hobbs


Pumpkin and Baby Spring Mix Salad
600g pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into wedges
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

For the salad dressing:
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey, extra
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard

142g Baby Spring mix (a medley of baby lettuces)
75g toasted pine nuts

Method:
Step 1 
Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pumpkin in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss until the pumpkin is well coated.

Place in a single layer on the lined tray. Bake, turning once during cooking, for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with the sesame seeds. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the seeds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.

Step 2 
Combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, mustard and extra honey in a screw-top jar and shake until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

Step 3 
Place the pumpkin, spinach (or mix baby lettuces) and pine nuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss until just combined. Serve immediately.

Well, here's a bowl of refreshing healthy salad to munch munch! Really loved the sweet pumpkin tossed in a bed of crunchy baby mix and pine nuts ^-^! Enjoy!

Have a pleasant week !


This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Hi Karen
    Good morning...... pumpkin is always a healthy choice.... and I can see that this dish you are serving indeed a healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen

    thanks for your linkage to LTU, you really enlighten my day with this healthy salad, like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    This is such a healthy breakfast.
    Hehe! I can have this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    I love pumpkin dish.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe to LTU!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely healthy salad!!! Perfect for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this salad! Spring is here though not in Singapore. It is hot but nice to have this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,

    Love the beautiful colours of your pumpkin salad... Very healthy and yummy!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying on diet now,so this healthy salad really suit for me..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, I love to add pumpkin in my salad too. Can eat the whole plate of it, including yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen,
    Lovely fall salad & very appetizing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a healthy dish, I need it now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen,
    Thanks very much for dropping by my blog and submitting your entry for MTR 3 - Taste of Autumn. This dish is so interesting. Looks so easy to whip up but delicious nonethless , just nice for me to get rid of my harvest of butternut squash. I'm bookmarking this for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi karen,
    I love puimpkin too! And roasting them with spices and herbs is just so delicious. Your pumpkin salad looks yummy, I don't mind having a whole plateful as my meal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I love pumpkins and I know for sure that I would love your pumpkin salad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be great for my diet menu! Looks really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like this beautiful salad full of fresh flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, the salad is beautiful. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.