Wednesday 22 October 2014

Steamed Pumpkin & Purple Sweet Potato Cake




I hardly make steamed kuehs. But I like the striking colours of the bright yellow and purple colour of this kueh. So when Esther of Copycake Kitchen mentioned "The combination of pumpkin,  sweet potato and coconut milk is amazing,  it's worth a try".
Well, here ... I'm making some for our afternoon snack. I could smell the coconut fragrant while steaming.  And truly nice texture.

Recipe source :Esther of Copycake Kitchen
(Thanks to Esther for sharing this sweet recipe)

Steamed Pumpkin & Purple Sweet Potato Cake 双色金瓜紫蕃薯糕
Ingredients :
Pumpkin batter
100g Pumpkin - deseeded, peeled skin, steamed and mashed.
40g Rice flour
10g Tapioca flour
100ml Coconut milk
50g Sugar (reduced to 35g)
1/2 tsp Salt

Purple sweet potato batter
100g Purple sweet potato - peeled skin, steamed and mashed
40g Rice flour
10g Tapioca flour
100ml Coconut milk
50g Sugar (reduced to 35g)
1/2 tsp Salt

Some freshly grated coconut (omitted as I've forgotten to buy at the wet market)

Method :
1) In a big bowl, mix together mashed pumpkin, sugar and salt, stir well.
Stir in coconut milk.
Sift in rice flour and tapioca flour, mix well till well combined.

2) In another bowl, mix together mashed purple sweet potato, sugar and salt, stir well.
Stir in coconut milk.
Sift in rice flour and tapioca flour, mix well till well combined.

3) Brush the mould with some cooking oil.

4) Spoon pumpkin batter into mould and steam over high heat for 20 minutes.

5) Spoon the purple sweet potato batter into mould and continue to steam over high heat for another 20 minutes.

*Note :
It depends on the size of the mould, mine took 15 minutes in step (4) and another 12 - 15 minutes in step (5).

I reduced the sugar slightly as I reckoned that the natural sweetness of both pumpkin and purple sweet potatoes is enough for me.

I find that to leave the mould cool down slightly (about 8 - 10mins) is easier to unmould the kuehs. I've got a hard time trying to unmould the kuehs when taken out from the steamer and it's still hot.

Lovely ... 

This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN
Photobucket

Also submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.


9 comments:

  1. Karen, I love your cute kueh. Easy to eat and just pop in the mouth. I don't have to taste to know that your kueh is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cake combination! Must be really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, very nice combination and using the small mould to steam is a great idea.

    Thanks for sharing to LTU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this at Esther's blog too, lovely combination of colours and flavours, and the moulds are so cute. I can imagine they must have been snapped up pretty fast ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love steamed kuih too and you done yours looking very good. I'm sure it must taste really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have seen this in Esther's blog too and thought how beautiful this kuih is, yours looks just as good! I am very lazy when it comes to making kuih, maybe because I can easily get it in the market lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen,
    I am here to take a few of your kueh for tea...hehe
    Love the lovely shapes that you use.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Karen, Love these steamed pumpkin sweet potato cakes, they are so beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.