Thursday 30 October 2014

Simplicity ♡ Steam Pumpkin with Rice




I often use spices, sauces or other condiments add to the dish to increase its flavour or texture in cooking. Hence, very often, I've also inevitably tend to forget the natural goodness or sweetness of the products as well. While I like to savour some 'gourmet cooking' at home, at times, I can be a very "down to earth" person in some of my cooking too.

Pumpkin is relatively cheap and available all year round here.
According to some health information:
Pumpkin is chock full of nutrients. Not only is pumpkin loaded with vitamin A and antioxidant carotenoids, particularly alpha and beta-carotenes, it’s a good source of vitamins C, K, and E, and lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron.

I've turned pumpkin into some 'gourmet cooking' at home, sharing a few :
Curried pumpkin and apple
Pumpkin and Baby Spring mix Salad
Seared Scallops with Pumpkin Soup
Crispy Bacon-wrapped Pumpkin

And a little innovative ... had some fun in creating a French - Nyonya dessert Pumpkin Crepes Dadar.

But here's a very simple pumpkin rice that I have learned to appreciate its awesome goodness ... perhaps a very simple comfort food that had been enjoyed very much by our great grandparents way back then. Simply to add slices of pumpkins into the rice cooker and cook together with the rice. No salt, sugar, sesame oil, ground pepper or any spices etc. is added.

A bowl of pumpkin rice with a plate of stir-fry lettuce
1 cup of *rice with water per cooking in a rice cooker.
Place some pumpkin - deseeded, peeled and cut into fairly thick slices/chunks. 
*I'm using Thai rice blend - mixture of fragrant rice and red & brown unpolished rice.



Simplicity ... down to earth ... a bowl of warm fluffy rice with natural sweetness of pumpkin !

Indeed, for the event Little Thumbs Up - Theme Pumpkin,  it has created such a 'huge pumpkin wave' and flooded with more than 500 fabulous yummy-licious recipes sharing by food bloggers. I'm really glad that I could pick up so many new recipes and had enjoyed the 'cook-along' & 'bake-along' with them too.

This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN

Photobucket


And I'm submitting this post link to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)"
 & co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

17 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Some times the simple meals are just what a body needs:) Your Pumpkin with Rice is a perfect example! I love that you added the pumpkin directly to the rice cooker. My daughter just bought a rice cooker and is looking for other creative ways to use it. I must tell her about this!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, glad that you drop by. Yes agree, sometimes simple yet nutritious meals are sufficient for the body ^-^!

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, can't agree more pumpkin is such a healthy addition to our meals and snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LY, agree totally.
      BTW, saw the pic of your Pumpkin Muah Chee ... will drop by later.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen
    If I didnt read the title of this post, your first pic I thought the pumpkin pieces were coated in grated coconut n thinking you are making some dessert kuih.....hee heee heee...... Your this dish pumpkin rice look simple but with the spices cooked in it, I bet it was full of flavoursome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha ! Mel, I like that "pumpkin pieces were coated in grated coconut " really looks like ...

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen, agreed with you, simplicity is the key word in life.

    Taking this opportunity to say a big thank you for your great support to LTU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I 'paiseh' as not many pumpkin posts to share ... I still have few pumpkin recipes but unable to try due to time constraints. A big thank you to you too for being a great host. Well done & Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Karen, love this idea of adding pumpkin to plain steamed rice. Pumpkins are so sweet and creamy and will add a bit more excitement to just plain rice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, I always throw in some pumpkins to cook with rice ... I like the sweetness that blends well with plain rice.

      Delete
  6. Hi karen, I like simple meal like this. Very healthy to cook rice with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, yes indeed and I started to cook pumpkin with rice this way about 5 years ago. Always thought pumpkin is only good in making soup or sweet desserts but it's so versatile.

      Delete
  7. Simple meal perfect for me, I am a lazy women hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tempting pumpkin rice ! I think I can eat two bowls, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi karen,
    Love the simplicity! sometimes simple is the best!
    My mom would add this to plain white porridge too, and sometimes with sweet potatoes.
    Hope you have a delicious weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pumpkin rice reminds me of what I always order to go with a bowl of 老火汤 but I would definitely prefer yours with such generous servings of pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pumpkin rice is also a comfort food for me, something I regularly cook at home, easy to whip up and very nutritious :)

    ReplyDelete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.