Vanilla Cocoa Banana Mini Cakes
110g salted butter, softened at room temperature
130g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
190g cake flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
20g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1) Preheat oven to 180°C and position the rack in center of oven. (Note: the oven temperature may vary, do adjust accordingly).
2) I used a square muffin pan, lightly greased with butter, makes 8 mini cakes.
3) In a big clean bowl, combine the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder and set aside.
4) In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with electric mixer in low speed. Gradually add the caster sugar. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed and continue to cream until the mixture is smooth (about 5 minutes). Add in the egg and vanilla extract, followed by mashed bananas and continue to cream for about 1 - 2 minutes.
5) Add in half the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Pour the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
6) Spoon about 1 and half tablespoon of batter for each of the 8 muffin cups, smooth the surface.
Add the cocoa powder to the remaining batter, mix well and gently spoon 1 tablespoon over the top of the vanilla batter.
7) Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake if it comes out clean.
8) Let the cakes cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storing in airtight container. Serve warm if you like you.
Do not leave the cakes in the muffin pan otherwise the base will be soggy.
Overall, the taste is a mix of bitter-sweetness. Love the fragrance of the banana and a hint of bitter cocoa flavor ! Enjoy with a cup of coffee for our afternoon coffee break.