I have not tasted this savoury Pork Floss cookie and not sure if it would be well received by my family. So for this trial CNY cookie, I halved the recipe. Well, these savoury cookies are very crunchy, tasty and addictive. Will definitely be baking more cos for sure this batch will not last till Chinese New Year .... hee.. hee !
Recipe adapted from Cosybites
PORK FLOSS COOKIES
Makes about 50 bite-sized cookies
113 gram unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
40 gram caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150 gram all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
50 gram pork floss - original soft type (can be replaced with chicken floss)
1) Line baking sheet/tray with parchment paper, set aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with the electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 4 to 5 minutes).
3) Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Combine the flour, salt and pork floss; stir into the sugar mixture with a spatula.
4) Divide dough into a 2 portions. Place each portion in cling wrap and roll into a log of approximately 2″in diameter. Wrap tightly in cling wrap and chill for at least one hour. If you are going to use a cookie cutter, flatten the dough into a square or rectangle before chilling.
5) Preheat oven to 180°C. Position the rack in the center of the oven. Remove dough from cling wrap and cut into small pieces of 1 cm thick, make round balls and flattened slightly. Alternatively, cut out shapes with cookie cutter.(I shaped the cookie dough in round balls, flattened slightly and pressed lightly with a cookie cutter imprint some shapes).
6) Place cookies on a baking sheet/tray, space them about 1" apart. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown at the edges. Remove the cookies from baking tray to wire rack to cool completely. Store them in airtight container.
This recipe is pretty easy to attempt. If you're looking for something savoury for CNY, perhaps try this recipe!
Happy Baking ^-^!
I'm linking this post to Best Recipes for Everyone Jan & Feb 2015 Event: Theme
My Homemade Cookies by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-hosted by
Victoria of Baking Into The Ether
'My Treasured Recipes #5 - Chinese New Year Goodies (Jan/Feb 2015)' hosted by
Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by
Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House