Although I'm not really obsessed with Pork floss or Bak Kwa, they are delicacies especially during the Chinese New Year (CNY) festive celebration.
I saw a box of Honey Bunches of Oats® with Almonds cereal on the table. The crispy flakes and crunchy oat clusters plus a hint of honey and savoury Bak Kwa bits will surely be a hit ! Whatmore, these super cruchy & crispy cookies are super easy to make.
Recipe source/adapted from: rice and bread
Below my slightly adjusted version.
Crispy Honey Oat Bak Kwa Cookies
About 33 - 35 pcs
125g unsalted butter, softened
60g brown sugar
113g self-raising flour, sifted
Pinch of salt
80g Post Honey Bunches of Oats with Crispy Almonds lightly crushed
1 slice of bak kwa (pork jerky) - chopped coarsely
1) Position the rack in the middle and preheat oven to 170°C. (The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. (Need not grease).
2) In a big mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy with electric mixer. Beat in egg till combined.
3) Using a spatula, fold in the flour, salt, 20g crispy almond cereal and chopped bak kwa into the mixture till combined.
4) Scoop about 1.5 teaspoon full of mixture and roll into balls then roll into the remaining lightly crushed crispy cereal. Place on baking sheet leaving some space in between. The cookies will spread out a little. ** if you find that the dough is too soft to handle, you can either:
a) drop the spoonful directly on the crushed cereal and briefly roll and coat.
b) put the dough in freezer for about 3 - 5 minutes.
5) Bake cookies in preheated oven at 170°C for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to cool completely wire rack. Store in air-tight container.
a) I will make smaller rounds (about 1 teaspoon) in the next batch for easier "1 mouthful" consumption.
b) My big boy "complained" not enough Bak Kwa. So will increase abit more.
These crispy cookies are super addictive.
Another easy to make Pork or Chicken Floss Cookies is also one of our favourites CNY homemade cookies !
So, start now to make some savoury CNY cookies ! Happy baking!
Looks yummy! Sounds healthy!ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.Delete
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete
I love crispy or crunchy cookies. Thank you for sharing the recipe.ReplyDelete
I love bakkwa so this must be crazy good. I'm imagining the flavours as I type this. Yum..ReplyDelete