Here's wishing you & family a Blessed and Happy New Year ^-^!
When my girl requested a cake for night watch and new year countdown in Church, I immediately thought of a funfetti cake. But I'm inspired by Susanne and Phay Shing from Loving Creations For You on those lovely colourful rainbow chiffon cakes. As I don't have the full range of rainbow food colouring to use, baked a trio colour chiffon instead.
Recipe mostly adapted from : Loving Creations For You
Below my slightly modified version as I've used the same numbers of egg yolks and egg whites.
Trio Colour Chiffon Cake
Ingredients (17 cm chiffon tin):
5 egg yolks
33g caster sugar
65g vegetable/corn oil
68 ml boiled water
100g cake flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
Food colouring (a drop of pink, apple green and yellow)
5 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a tray of water at the bottom of the oven (I used the lowest rack to bake the cake).
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale yellow before stirring in oil, water and vanilla extract.
3. Next add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour found.
4. Divide the batter into 3 large bowls. Mix in respective colours (pink, apple green and yellow egg colours).
5. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
6. Divide the meringue into 3. Gently but quickly fold in the meringue into the 3 colours batter. You need to work very fast for the meringue not to deflate.
7. Scoop the pink batter into the chiffon tin, followed by green and yellow.
8. Bake the chiffon cake for 15 min at 160°C and then 35 min at 140°C, or when skewer comes clean.
9. Invert the chiffon cake once removed from oven.
The eggs that I used is 60g each.
To decorate the cake: mixed 50g icing sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Some colourful sugar sprinkles
May you have a great start of the new year !
Karen, what a pretty and colourful chiffon cake! And the top is smooth, no cracks :) Here's wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.Delete
Hi Phong Hong,Delete
Thanks. Yr2014 had been a fruitful and fulfilling year for me as I'm really glad to know you in my baking journey. Let's all have a great 2015 ! Cheers!
Hi Karen, you are more adventurous than me in baking. A nice cake to usher in the New Year. Wishing you best of 2015! Cheers!ReplyDelete
Thanks Lian, glad to know you in my baking journey and let's all have a great 2015 ^-^!Delete
Beautiful!! Happy New Year to you and your lived ones!ReplyDelete
Thanks LY. Same to you too ^-^!Delete
Happy New Year to you ！ReplyDelete
Same to you too, Grace.Delete
Hi Karen, 新年快乐！All the best in 2015!ReplyDelete
Thanks Ann. Looking forward to your recipes sharing. Cheers & all the best to you too !Delete