Butter cakes are usually very dense and rich with buttery fragrant. That's why I'm always hesitant to bake a very rich butter cake with a block of 230g - 250g of butter. Marble Cake which I've baked a few times uses less than 100g of butter, yields buttery moist with tender crumbs texture that my big kids love.
The famous Mrs SK Ng's butter cake has been raving very fantastic good review by many food/recipe bloggers for past few years. The texture of the cake : "moist tender cottony soft with strong buttery
fragrant". Since my big kids could afford such cake in high calories .. I would just love to pamper them with this famous butter cake ... hee ... hee ... But it turned out that I ate 4 big slices at one go ! Needless to say this awesome butter cake is so so so addictive ! Yeah tender crumbs, cottony soft with nice buttery fragrant !
Recipe source and adapted from :
table for 2 or more
the domestic goddess wannabe
Below my slightly modified version :-
Butter Cake (Mrs Ng SK)
250g salted butter, softened at room temperature
120g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g self raising flour, sifted
4 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C. Position the rack in the center of oven.
*Note : The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust accordingly.
2) Lined and lightly grease a 8″ × 8" square baking pan with some butter.
3) Separate the eggs into yolks and whites. (the size of my egg is 60g each with shell)
4) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the cold egg whites till foamy using the electric mixer and gradually add in caster sugar in 3 separate additions and beat till stiff peak, formed into a firm meringue. Transfer to a big bowl and chill in the fridge.
5) With the electric mixer in medium speed, cream the butter. Gradually add the caster sugar and continue to cream until the mixture is light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6) Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. And the rest of the flour. Mix just until all the flour has been incorporated into the batter.
7) Put about 1/3 the meringue in batter and mix on low speed. Gently fold the remaining meringue in 2 batches to the batter with a spatula.
8) Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 170°C for 45 minutes.
* I turned down the oven temperature to 150°C in the last 15 minutes of baking. So glad it has no crack .... must keep an eye on the cake and adjust the oven temperature if need be, especially in the last 15 - 20 minutes of baking.
Check for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center if it comes out clean. Let the cake rest for 5 minutes in the pan before carefully transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Baked again :
My girl has a gathering and requested to bake "that very nice butter cake" to bring for the event. Baked with chocolate duo flavor for her. When she returned home, she feedback that the cake was very well received. Oh ! But I secretly kept 3 slices for my coffee break :)
Enjoy & Happy Baking !
Hi Karen, I can see why you kept 3 slices for yourself, both cakes look amazing!!!!ReplyDelete
Karen, how sneaky! LOL! This is my favorite butter cake recipe. No need to try others :)ReplyDelete
outstanding wording that you write about cakes and sweets .. i am very much happy about your language and your style of wording ... your styles od cakes and sweetsReplyDelete
that you upload is also charming .. #Cakes in Dubai.. also one of the best and good point of sweets and cakes ,
cheapness are the reason being that of this country and other areas people most prefer to sell their items
Very Informative to your Website, I hope it will be useful for all of us. Thanks for sharing it with us. You can visit our Amazon store. We sell quality products at very cheap rates. So that buyers can buy products at affordable prices. You can visit our store once and do the shopping of your choice. We hope you like it. Below are some details of our product.
(1). PROTECT YOUR COUNTERTOPS: Baking and kneading are all fun and games until you have to scrape off the excess from your countertop. Our countertop protector mat is designed to provide you with a surface to prepare the dough, and it allows you to be more productive when preparing baked goods. The stick-resistant pastry mat is a must-have for all your baking and cooking needs. Measuring .4mm thickness.
(2). SAFE TO USE: Our pastry mat is manufactured using 100% food-grade silicone material, which is safe for you to use. In addition, the BPA-free and non-toxic silicone baking mat are easy-to-clean, and it is resistant to extremely hot (230°C) and cold temperatures (-40°C).
(3). MULTIPURPOSE KITCHEN MAT: Our dough Mat is equipped with weight, temperature, and measurements, which attributes to its multipurpose feature. These multipurpose baking sheets could be used as countertop protectors, baking sheets, dinner mats. It is ideal for kneading, shaping, and Rolling dough without any unwanted stickiness or mess. The temperature-resistant baking sheets can also be used to prepare pizzas, fondants, and pie crusts.
(4). NON-STICK & EASY TO CLEAN: Our baking mats are durable and long-lasting! These countertop sheets are easy to clean. Simply hand wash with soap and water or place in the dishwasher.
(5). RISK-FREE PURCHASE: Customer satisfaction is our top priority; therefore, we provide a convenient exchange and refund policy on our products. If you are unhappy with your purchase, simply contact us for a hassle-free Return!
>> Sold By Bake Buddy and Fulfilled by Amazon <<
This is good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts. I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.online cake shop SingaporeReplyDelete