Saturday 5 April 2014

Orange Yogurt Brûlées

A few years ago when I took a short break (about 5 months) from the workforce,  my ex colleagues presented me 3 cookbooks in cakes and desserts recipes for my farewell. I needed a break then to help my girl focus on her studies and preparation for the PSLE (Primary School Leaving Examination). Well, I guessed it's the 'typical stress' that most Singaporean parents,  if not all, had experienced when their 12 years old children sit for these school examinations.   It was a wise choice then as that's when I developed the interest in baking.

Occasionally I would flip through the pages of the cookbooks to try new recipes but I'm quite selective cos most western recipes are rather rich in sugar and butter for cakes or desserts.  Chance upon this Orange Yogurt Brûlées recipe using low fat yogurt. Looks pretty 'easy peasy' and gave it a try as it's my 1st attempt in Brûlées. The recipe calls for 4 individual heatproof dishes ... hmm.. gosh ... I don't have any. Searched through the kitchen cabinets and found a piece of rather appropriate Pyrex dish.

Here's sharing the recipe adapted from Martha Day with slight modifications :-

Orange Yogurt Brûlées
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 oranges
150ml low-fat yogurt
4 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
3 tablespoons (2 Tbsp) caster sugar
2 tablespoons (1 Tbsp) light muscovado sugar


Methods:
1) cut away all the peel and white pith from the oranges and segment the fruit, removing all the membrane.
2) place the fruit in the bottom of 4 individual flameproof dishes. Mix together the yogurt and crème and spoon over the oranges.
3) mix together the two sugars and sprinkle them evenly over the tops of the dishes.
4) place the dishes under a preheated,  very hot grill for 3-4 mins or until the sugar melts and turns to a rich golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Probably due to the reduced amount of sugar, hence, the top didn't seemed to be 'rich golden brown'. As usual, my big kids would be my first customers to sample my products. My 18 years old son commented "not sweet enough..".  I tried a few spoonfuls ... hmm.. the natural sweetness of the oranges complimented the sourish yogurt tasted refreshing!

I'm submitting my 'ORANGE' post and joining The Little Thumbs Up for the first time.

Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal at this post.





6 comments:

  1. This orange brulees look very delicious, I love that are very few ingredients used.
    Thank you for sharing LTU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Thanks for coming by my place. This orange yogurt brulee looks good and easy to make. I think myself one person will have no problem polishing the whole thing off. Hah...hah....I will come back later and check your other posts. Always glad to come across a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, thanks for dropping by and I'm sure have alot to learn from you and other pro bakers of delicious great recipes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen,

    Nice to have you participating LTU. These orange brûlées with yogurt sounds like a healthier option. Yum!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, will find time to try out some of your delicious recipes too.

      Delete

Sharing some of my favourite recipes, some new baking/cooking "adventures". Please feel free to post your comments for my improvement. Would be great to connect with you and learn some of your recipes too. Thanks for 'dropping by'.