When I baked the chiffon cakes recently, I remembered some chiffon swiss roll recipes that yielded fluffy soft texture which I've made about 2 years ago.
Here's sharing this fluffy soft and moist roll cake adapted from Cookpad
Recipe source : Cookpad, below my slightly modified version using some methods I'm comfortable with in making swiss rolls.
Ingredients (makes a 25cm x 25cm roll cake)
For the egg batter :
4 egg yolks
70 grams Top flour
25 grams Caster sugar
30 grams Vegetable oil
30 grams Water
For the Meringue :
4 egg white
25 grams caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the filling :
250ml Whipping cream
20 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Sift the flour and set aside. You will need a baking sheet/tray 25cm x 25cm size, line with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Separate the eggs into yolks and whites.
(the size of an egg is 60g with shell)
3) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the cold egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy using the electric mixer. Gradually add in caster sugar in 3 separate additions and beat till stiff peak, formed into a firm meringue. Transfer to a big bowl and chill in the fridge.
4) In the same mixing bowl, cream together egg yolks and caster sugar until pale and thick using the electric mixer (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add vegetable oil and water and continue beating till it incorporated.
5) Add the sifted top flour and mix until just combined.
6) Gently fold 1/3 of the meringue into the batter with a spatula. Fold the remaining meringue into the batter in 2 batches until it looks evenly mixed (no streaks of meringue).
7) Pour the batter into baking sheet. Gently tap the baking sheet a few times on table top to release the trapped bubbles in the batter. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or the top is evenly light browned, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
(I used the middle rack. The temperature of the oven may vary, do check, do not over bake the cake as it will be too dry and may crack easily when rolled)
8) Remove the baking sheet from the oven, immediately drop the baking sheet at a height onto a table top. This action helps to keep the springy texture of the sponge when it is left to cool.
9) Remove the sponge from the tray by lifting the parchment paper and place it on the cooling rack. Cover the surface with a clean damp cloth for about 3 minutes to retain its soft and moist for easy rolling.
|Happy ... no crack :D|
|Wrap with parchment paper and chill in fridge for few hours.|
(Note: I've prepared the whipped cream in advance of baking and chill it in the fridge till ready to spread the sponge roll).
Freeze the cleaned mixing bowl for about 10 minutes. Take it out from the freezer, immediately put all together the cold whip cream, vanilla extract and caster sugar in the cold mixing bowl. Use the electric mixer to whisk till stiff peaks form.
Happy baking & have a great week ahead!
I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone Event June 2015 Theme: Secret of Chiffon & Roll Cakes.
Organized and hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom Kitchen Diary
Linking this post to Little Thumbs Up Event : June 2015 Theme Cream
and hosted by Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe