Baking cakes, muffins or tarts for our snacks or breakfast is getting 'harder' for me now ... just the two of us ... mommy & girl. My boy is currently in overseas doing his 5-month school programme. And my sister-in-law may join us sometimes ... but being a 'small eater' herself, we could hardly finish the small quantity and often with leftover to consume the next day.
So, for whatever bakes/snacks I make now, I've to halve the quantity. And ... fuss free, quick and easy as the thoughts of just the 2 of us ... sometimes "laziness" just wriggling into my bones .... ha haa !
This chocolate dessert/snack No Bake Chocolate Cake from Joy of Baking fits into my bill perfectly!
It contains just four ingredients:
chocolate, butter, toasted and chopped nuts, and Digestive Biscuits (or graham crackers). As its name implies, there is no baking involved which makes it the perfect dessert for the harried. Preparation time 30 mins. All you do is mix the ingredients together in a bowl, press it into a tart or cake pan, and leave it to chill in the refrigerator.
I've halved the recipe below, click Joy of Baking for the full recipe.
50g unsalted butter, room temperature (cut into small pieces)
55g semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
55g Digestive cookies (or graham crackers, shortbread cookies or butter cookies)
1) Preheat the oven to 177 degree C and place rack in the middle of the oven. Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool then chop coarsely.
2) Lightly butter a 750ML rectangle Pyrex dish.
(You may use an 8 inch (20 cm) tart or cake pan for full recipe)
3) Then in a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate.
4) Meanwhile, break or chop the digestive cookies into small pieces (about 1/2 inch).
5) Once the butter and chocolate are melted, remove from heat and stir in the digestive cookies, along with their crumbs, and the chopped nuts.
6) Spread this mixture into a lightly buttered dish, tart or cake pan, cover, and refrigerate for several hours or until set. Cut or break into slices. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
|Here's a slice of the chocolate cake ... yummy!|
Enjoy your weekend !
This post is linking with Best Recipes for Everyone Sept 14 Event : Chocolate Wonderland
Hosted by Fion