Recipe source and adapted mostly from : Sharmeee Ondeh-Ondeh Cupcakes
Below my modified version as I've adjusted the quantity of some ingredients.
Makes 12 regular cupcakes
Ingredients for Pandan Cupcake
190g all-purpose plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
80g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter softened at room temperature
2 tablespoons concentrated pandan extract (refer here for homemade concentrated pandan extract).
2 eggs (each 60g with shell)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line the muffin pan with cupcake liners. (The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven).
Sift the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a clean mixing bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar till pale and creamy with electric mixer. Add one egg at a time and mix on medium speed.
3. Add the sifted flour, alternating with milk and the pandan extract. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and beat for another 1 - 2 minutes or until the batter is well incorporated.
4. Use an ice cream scoop or 2 spoons to spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each one only two-thirds full.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake if it comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool completely on rack.
Note: I made an experiment for 3 cupcakes (with arrows) filled with the pandan gula melaka coconut filling and baked them together. Simply dropped a scoop of batter, fill in 1 teaspoon of filling and topped with 1 scoop of batter. They turned out great too without the creamy whipped cream.
To make the pandan gula melaka coconut filling:
1) Grated fresh coconut 150g
2) Wash clean 1 pandan leaf (screwpines) and tie a knot.
3) In a saucepan, pour about 150ml water, add 200g gula melaka/palm sugar (chopped smaller size) and bring to a boil till it melt. (do adjust the sweetness to your preference).
4) Add in the grated coconut and pandan leaf. Cook till the mixture fairly dry over medium-low heat.
Set aside to cool. (The filling can be prepared a day in advance and keep in fridge until use).
Note: I didn't use up all and freeze the balance.
240 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Garnish: about 6 - 7 tablespoons dessicated coconut (to sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon lightly on frosting of each cupcake).
Note: This is the leftover whipped cream from recent Coconut Cupcakes
To assemble, core the cupcakes, then fill in with 1 teaspoon pandan gula melaka coconut filling. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle some dessicated coconut.
|Enjoying these with or without whipped cream :)|
Yummy-licious! Love the fragrant pandan gula melaka coconut filling that complement the soft cupcake texture. My big kids gave thumbs up too ^-^!
Have a great week ahead !
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up ~ October 2015
Event Theme : Coconut
and hosted by Jess of Bakericious